Saturday, January 24, 2015

Taking Our Kids Back

As I popped on the Internet this morning, the latest news feed was a mile long.It was the top one that caught and held my attention.It was actually from a group I thought I had left,because of all the fighting among the member's.

The message however was a strong one.It was asking all mother's to Unite in Taking back our Kids.

I never went to the site to view the comments as I knew they would be full of so many opinions on that statement." They have to want it themselves" " Just give it to god" " He is evil "" I can't save him" etc.

 I myself, continue to work on my own recovery,Like my son's, it is and will be a lifelong process.Over the time I have left many groups,stopped following certain blogs,Joined more groups,searching for like minded parents such as myself.I also still follow blogs that aren't like minded because they keep me on my toes.They also have taught me many things,Like my son's recovery I take what I need and leave the rest.

We are all fighting the same Devil..Addiction.

Let's Do Our Part, To bring Our Kids Back
There is much we can't help our children with.No we can't save them,But we can be part of the solution that may lead them to recovery.

The most important step is getting healthy yourself,For me I found the healthier I got,The better my son got.
The main steps for we parents, are the Obvious ones.Not enabling,set up rules and boundary's.Always ask yourself is this helping my child...or feeding the Addiction.Each and everyone of us can do our part in Taking back our Kids.

It does not have to be holding a sign and standing in protest,There are many who can't do that.It does not have to be speaking out in pulblic,Public speaking is not everyone's cup of Tea.It is not founding a self help-group,Starting a blog,researching for new ways to unlock the brain of those suffering from addiction,Fighting for better treatment,recovery homes or writing new laws to protect our children.It does not have to be any of these things.

  • It can be as simple as writing a letter to your local government represenitive,Your city counselor.
  • It can be giving to a foodbank,A homeless shelter,Offering a warm blanket or a meal to somesones child,hoping someone else is doing the same for yours.
  • It can be supporting them in the treatment of Their Choice..Most importantly,being there if that choice fails and encouraging them to try a different path.
  • It can be keeping them close..texting,calling,leave a message with those 3 powerful words" I love You"
  • It can be driving them to treatment and visiting them on family days.
  • It Can be Admitting when your wrong..and zipping it when your right

It can be a hundred small things,but you can't do it if your full of anger,fear,So sick you can't get out of bed,uneducated about the disease of addiction.

You can't do anything if you don't lift yourself up and start recoverying yourself,That is the first and most important step.

You have to give to yourself first,before you can give to someone else..but you can do it..Just as our children can do it...one step at a time.

Let's do our part...take our kids back..by healing ourselves first...xoxo





4 comments: